This is how you increase your website traffic, conversion rate, improve your organic SEO ranking with wordpress speed optimization plugins and tools.
Never worry about a slow-loading website, e-commerce site, blog or landing page with your wordpress site, after reading this post. We have covered only the best plugins, this is our take:
Benefits of a fast loading website:
1. More traffic
The study shows that a decrease in loading times with 2 seconds, would potentially increase your traffic with 20%. This can have a major impact on your website, especially if you’re running an e-commerce website. This will also genuine improve your visitors/ customers/ clients general experience on your website.
2. Low bounce rate
Low bounce is definitely also important. First of all, google loves low bounce rate because this indicates that your visitors have found somewhat what they were looking for (not bouncing back to the google search). This is also important because of the obvious reason that your visitors stay on your page for a longer duration.
3. Improved SEO ranking
In combination with the reasons mentioned above, you will improve your SEO ranking by having a faster website
4. Higher conversion rate
A faster website will also lead to a higher converions rate, which equals more revenue and more profit. Even if you’re not running an e-commerce store you can still benefit from the higher conversion rate with more opt-in on your landingpage or more downloads of your software etc.
Top 10 plugins for wordpress
The primary way this plugin helps speed up your site is by disabling things that won’t be utilized on your site. For instance, by default emojis load on every single page of your site. If you don’t use them, this is slowing down your site. By disabling these, the scripts no longer loads and so it reduces your overall number of HTTP requests and your page size. Another great optimization is to limit your post revisions. These can rapidly top off your database and back off your site. By limiting them you can guarantee a quick and snappy. database.
Even if your already having a cache plugin this is worth going for as well.
- Easy to use dashboard
- Works with your existing caching plugin
- Disable scripts that isn’t in use
- DNS pre-fetch support
Price: Starts from $19.95/year
2. WP Fastest Cache
There are simple and advanced plugins, but this is by far one of the easier one to use. It’s basically “plug and play” with almost no setup requirements. Just install and active and you don’t need to modify the .htacces file. It will be modified automatically. Over 200.000 people are using it and it has a lot of positive reviews in wordpress.org also.
- Mod_Rewrite which is the fastest method is used in this plugin
- Admin can delete all cached files from the options page
- Admin can delete minified css and js files from the options page
- Block cache for specific page or post with Short Code
- Cache Timeout – All cached files are deleted at the determinated time
- Enable/Disable cache option for mobile devices
- Enable/Disable cache option for logged-in users
- Preload Cache – Create the cache of all the site automatically
3. WP Super Cache
Also a very popular caching and speed optimization tool for WordPress. It has over 1.000 reviews with 4.5 out 5 stars, and support most of the features you need with a this type of plugin. It has a lot of more advanced features and can be modified as you need. However WP Super cache feature som recommend settings, this definitely also have some more advanced features.
- Support for multiple caching types (Mod_Rewrite, PHP and Legacy)
- Cache preload
- Cache rebuild
- Serve static html files
- CDN support
4. Cache Enabler
Cache Enabler is an incredible plugin from the group at KeyCDN. It’s a light weight reserving plugin that you would be able to setup in minutes.
It accompanies the alternative to set cache expiry time, minification setup and a couple of different choices. Other than that, it’s sparce on features but that is the whole purpose of this plugin.
On the off chance that you have to include a CDN, you can utilize the sister plugin to this called CDN Enabler. Same rule applies – light weight and simple to setup.
- Efficient and fast disk cache engine
- Automated and/or manual clearing of the cache
- Manually purge the cache of specific pages
- Display of the actual cache size in your dashboard
- Support of 304 Not Modified if the page has not modified since last cached
- Works perfectly with Autoptimize
- HTTP/2 Focused
5. W3 Total Cache
Over 3.000 reviews at the time being of this post, and incredible lifetime updates throughout the plugin so far. It’s very high performance, not the easiest to use nor the most difficult one, and has a lot of customisation possibilities for your wordpress site. This can definitely help you improve your SEO rank as well. However we would generally only recommend this to advanced users because.
- Improvements in search engine result page rankings, especially for mobile-friendly websites and sites that use SSL
- “Instant” repeat page views: browser caching
- Optimized progressive render: pages start rendering quickly and can be interacted with more quickly
- Reduced page load time: increased visitor time on site; visitors view more pages
- Improved web server performance; sustain high traffic periods
6. WP Super Minify
WP Super Minify consolidate JS, HTML and CSS documents so they can be compacted and served to visitors in a way that decreases website loading times.
As they say on their wordpress site:
Simple as that.
It’s worth noting that you should be carefull when setting up these kinds of plugins, because in the past I’ve discovered that occasionally specific topics and plugins can struggle and create problems with this kind of plugin. We dont’ this plugin on this site, but we generally think it’s OK, but far from the best.
- Straight forward and easy to use
7. Smush Image Compression and Optimization
Award winning image compression and optimization plugin for wordpress. Smush have been one of benchmarked tools for image optimization which leads us to faster website loading speeds, which we love. Smush is by far one of the best plugins at the moment for image optimization and compression and is pretty straight forward to setup.
- Optimize your images using advanced lossless compression techniques.
- Set maximum width and height and large images will automatically scale before being added to your media library
- Process JPEG, GIF and PNG image files.
- Asynchronously auto-smush your attachments for super fast compression on upload.
- Manually smush your attachments individually in the media library, or in bulk 50 attachments at a time.
- Smush images with no slowdown using WPMU DEV’s fast, reliable Smush API.
- Global and individual settings for Multisite
- View advanced compression stats per-attachment and library totals.
8. BJ Lazy Load
This is one of smaller and less used plugins, however it still have some nice performance. Lazy loading makes your site load faster and saves bandwidth. This plugin replaces all your post images, post thumbnails, gravatar images and content iframes with a placeholder and loads the content as it gets close to enter the browser window when the visitor scrolls the page. Also works with text widgets.
- Replaces post images, Gravatar images and post thumbnails
- Replaces content iframes with a placeholder until content needs to load
- Plugin uses jQuery to operate
9. Compress JPEG & PNG Images
A plugin by TinyPNG which also is used for image optimization. This is a more basic JPEG & PNG compressing tool with no other fancy technology or features. You uploade your pictures to your site and then you can expect to save between 40-60% on PGN and 50-80% on JPEG, which is still really good. You’ll then save storage and bandwith and get a faster wordpress site. And again, increase your SEO ranking. However this is a lot more basic than some of the other plugins.
- Compress JPEG & PNG up to 80%
- Easy to use and setup
- Have bulk-optimization feature
- Compatible with woocommerce and many other platforms
Autoptimize makes optimizing your site really easy. It can aggregate, minify and cache scripts and styles, injects CSS in the page head by default and can move and defer scripts to the footer. It also minifies the HTML code itself, making your page really lightweight. It does a great job with speed enhancing your wordpress / woocommerce site, however the support isn’t as sharp as some of the other ones. Even though their FAQ should cover pretty much everything you need. The plugin works great and has great performance overall.
- Concatenates all scripts and styles, minifies and compresses
- Minifies the HTML code
- Lightweight plugin
- Can be used with some of the above plugins to create synergy
From a recent case study of 12 different major websites, we’ve made a little infographic showing the impact of a slow website. For a comparison, blogspot did a similar one here.