Get started with Twitter Ads – Twitter for Business 💰📈
Sometimes you have to think out of the box to create a compelling social presence. Paid advertisement campaigns could be the best way to promote your business and achieve your goals. As brands and businesses continue to create the buzz, Twitter evolves as an exceptional platform for ads.
When you think of social media advertisement, the first few platform names that pop up in mind are Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest. Since Twitter launched in 2006, Twitter has 320 million active users per month. Despite the struggle, Twitter remains a dark horse. Brands, marketers, and businesses have long under utilized it, but not anymore.
Of course, Facebook ads and paid Instagram campaigns are dominating the market because of their size. However, the power of Twitter advertising also cannot be disregarded. Twitter ads represent an entirely different gamut of features than that of Instagram and Facebook. In the past year, the engagement rate of Twitter ad campaigns grew exponentially by 151%, with video ads contributing to a large percentage of the success.
The World of Twitter Ads
Table of Contents
- 1 The World of Twitter Ads
- 2 Why Twitter Ads are a Game changer?
- 3 Setting up Twitter Ad Accounts⚙️
- 4 Twitter Advertising Tips to make the most out of Budget💰📈
- 5 Tips to Write Effective Copy of Twitter Ads
- 6 To or Not to Advertise on Twitter – Final Word ⭐️
Image Credit: technobrix.com
Over a period, Twitter has faced many challenges to acquire users who would stay. Of course, users wanted something different, something unique that could set their brands or business apart. That’s when the Twitter research team started making some remarkable changes to their interface to make it more user-friendly and relatable.
While there’s still time for Twitter to reach the pinnacle of success to become one of those like Facebook or Instagram, this social network has also come a long way. It is now following the trend, making continuous and consistent changes, and trying its best to retain users with better features.
Twitter is an excellent platform for surveys, votes, and opinions. Most brands, businesses, andmarketers use Twitter to ask questions to their users. It is an interesting way of involving your customers and audiences in your marketing campaign and making them feel important. After all, every opinion counts!
Funfact: Over 67% of Twitter users are likely to purchase from brands they follow on Twitter.🌍
Why Twitter Ads are a Game changer?
So, why should you bother about Twitter ads?
With all the other social network platforms doing so well, why would you consider advertising on Twitter? That’s because Twitter has evolved to become one of the most promising and practical tools. And there’s more to it:
- Twitter ads are subtle and beautiful, they integrate so seamless into the newsfeed and feel very “natural”. Did you know that 41% of Twitter users buy within 30 days of seeing an ad? Yes, that’s the startling figure and the potential of Twitter ads. As Twitter ads are more relevant to users, their search history, and their preferences, it gets a better Moreover, the ads do not prompt on the feeds unnecessarily.
- Twitter ads are cost-effective, which makes it the first choice for social media advertising. Similar to Facebook ads, Twitter also you to choose your target audience and spend only as much as you want. As a result, fewer ad dollars go waste as you zero in on your prospects that add value to your brand. In addition, you have complete control over the budget. So, go ahead and create your campaign the way you want.
Image Credit: socialmediaexaminer.com
- Twitter users scroll the screen, hardly having time to glance through the leastimportant So, to make sure your ad grabs attention, it should be subtle yet informative. Twitter video ads are an excellentway to impress your audience.
- If you are looking for a budget-friendly advertisement platform, Twitter is your place. You can create the most compelling adwithout spending fortunes for it.
- Create engaging ad campaigns and invite your fans to participate in them. Share as much as possible. User engagement is Twitter’s most magnificentdrive in advertising.
- Twitter also allows you to create high-quality video/visual ads using GIFs. GIFs increase the chances of an ad being shared by your audience if it is appealing, funny, and informative.
- Twitter also allows you to play with contrasting colorswhen it comes to ad images. According to a Usability Tools study, contrasting color call to action words and phrases witnessed a 75% higher CTR compared to the least contrast ones.
- Engaging ads are the winner, and so are fun and humorous ads. So, instead of having a hardcore sales pitch, start thinking differently. You have to involve your audience with your ads to ensure that they buy your product.
- Moreover, it is better to start posting ads organically. In that way, your ads stand to get more engagement. Finally, you can choose paid promotions for those ads with a higherengagement rate.
Now that you are clear about the benefits of Twitter advertising, what are your options to begin with?
Twitter Ads – Types & Classifications
You can create three distinct types of Twitter Ad posts:
- Promoted Tweets– It is the best way to increase user engagement that works like Facebook’s Boosted Posts.
- Promoted Trends– Another way to increase user engagement through trending hashtags. It is an expensive type of advertisement that provides options according to your monthly budget (which you share with twitter)
- Promoted Accounts– If you aim to increase following plus engagement, this is for you. It includes a description defining why you want people to follow you and even a “Follow” button within a tweet. That’s cool!
Promoted tweets are paidads. Advertisers pay for an ad featuring on Twitter. They are the most basic tweets that can also be liked, replied to or retweeted.
You can choose where you want a promoted tweet to appear – on the user profile, timeline, in search results, in official Twitterclient page or promotedtrend search result.
A promoted account is also called a Follower Campaign. It allows Twitterto promoteyour account targeting your audience and users who do not follow you yet but might like to. The accountis only displayedto users who might take an interest init.
Promoted accounts may be displayedin the timeline of a potentialfollower, search results, and who to follow suggestions. It also includes a “FOLLOW” button and marked “Promoted.”
With Twitter ads, you not only promote a brand but also increase brand awareness, which is essential. Making a brand viral by posting ads increases brand visibility and ensures people see it more often. Seeing anything online repeatedlytriggers curiosity amongst users and compels them to click.
Moreover, Twitter ads always have a lot of positivity to it along with a message that catches attention. Your brand with a message about its usefulness is what you want. It also makes your target audience relate to the ad post.
Therefore, you have to be very sure about how you want to pitch, what you want to pitch, and how much you want to divulge to your audience. With any advertisement, always believe that it is your onlyopportunity to showcase your brand. Tell your audience how your product could help them – one first and last chance. Wouldn’t you give your best shot?
Funfact: 85% Twitter users consider promoted accounts as both helpful and relevant!
- Promoted trends in Twitter Ads feature with a # (hashtag) and get promoted at the top of the list of trending topics
- Trending topics on Twitter are the most talked about subject on social networks and they appear on the left-hand side of the page, on the Discover Tab and Twitter App. By using this tool, you can let your hot topics be at the top of the list
- Promoted trends also allow brands to gain additional organic exposure so that your brand reach increases
- Twitter advertising is more about creating awareness than simply promoting a brand. As such, can brands promote specific services, products or launches on Twitter? Yes, obviously!
Having said that, a trending topic with a hashtag grabs user attention instantaneously. It is the most discussed hot subject on the internet and across social networks that appearon the timeline, Twitter app, and Explore tab.
It shows what’s happening around and viral at a specific time, having an exclusivecontext, or an event. As users click on a Promoted Trend, an organic search result for the same topic appears. A promoted tweet also features on the top of the list.
The moment users notice that hashtag, you gain organic exposure. It eventually increases the reach of your Twitter ad campaign.
Promoted tweets center on education, information, and entertainment versus being entirely product-centric, and there is solid reason to it.
Setting up Twitter Ad Accounts⚙️
Ok! Therefore, it is time to get rolling.
How do you set up a Twitter advertising campaign? The process is quite similar to that of creating Facebook Ads. However, if you are new to social ads, you have to start from scratch.
Beginners, please create a dedicated Twitter account for the business/brand. Any type of ad campaign you create is ultimately tied to one account. Therefore, it is best to use a brand account instead of a personal account.
Start by checking out the Twitter ads page, which is something like this:
Now do not fret as you see too many options.
Just do not panic.
Each of these options outlines a specific objective. These are goals to promote a specific tweet. The objective you choose shall decide the performance of your tweets and the pricing of ads too.
For example, Follower campaigns charge per the following basis, whereas Awareness Campaigns charge per impression. Likewise, conversion and web click campaigns charge for website clicks.
The choice of paying for your objective lies on you. However, each of these options is centered on one goal – promoting a tweet.
If you want some extra attention for one of your latest blog posts, you have to funnel traffic from Twitter back to your website for clicks, downloads, and other actions. In such cases, you have to use “Website Clicks & Conversion” option.
So, let’s begin.
Step#1: Creating the First Twitter Ad Campaign
- Visit Twitter Ads Manager Page
- Discover the list of Twitter Campaign Targets on the left-hand side of the page
- Choose your Twitter Ad Campaign goal
- Click on Create Campaign
- It leads you to the screen of Twitter Ad Campaign
- Name the campaign, choose whether you want to start the campaign immediately or plan for some other time
- You can choose whether you like to include third-party tracking or not
Step#2: Select your Twitter ad-type campaign
Twitter gives you the liberty to select from multiple types of campaigns. Based on your requirements, you can choose from:
- Follower Campaign:If you are a novice on Twitter or launching your brand, you have to focus on increasing follower volume. Therefore, a follower campaign shall be the right type of advertisement campaign targeting people who would be genuinely interested in your brand and/or Such ad campaigns appear in the form of tweets in your targeted users’ timelines and in “Who to Follow” as well.
- Engagement Campaign:Creating tweet engagement is one of the best ways to reach more and more people. It also drives conversation and generates interests in people already looking for you. Twitter sends your engagement ad copy to users based on their behavior, search history, andother related factors, with the hope of like, retweet or reply to the content.
- Click/Conversion Campaign:What is your primarytarget – getting organic website traffic, email sign-up, sale, or goal conversion? Based on your target, Twitter shall offer your ad copy to users it thinks are genuinely interested in engaging with your advertisements. These types of ads appear in Twitter search results and users’ timelines.
- App Installation Campaign:If you have a business app and you want users to download it, you can choose an App Installation ad campaign on Twitter. However, App Installs only feature in Twitter mobile feeds.
- Video Campaign:You can post compelling advideos to attract people and make them watch the same using the native video player. At present, Twitter uses the BETA version.
- Lead Generation Campaign:Twitter ads allow you to generate leads for lead collection including email address. If you are giving out something free in return, you can get a valid email address, which becomes a lead. For instance, offering a free eBook, online tutorial membership, email course etc. As such, users would not have to enter their details by themselves, which automatically increases the chancesof conversion.
Step#3: Choose your Target Audience for your Twitter Ads
Once your objective is clear, andthe adis ready, it is time to define your target audience to whom you want to deliver the ad. Twitter is the most powerful social network with potential targeting capability. Using Twitter, you can easily find your audience, segment them, and continue to work.
So, how would you choose your audience? Twitter enlists some definitefeatures:
- Target Location: Select the areas you are targeting for a perfect audience. You can choosemultiple countries and be specific. However, if you are interested in targeting just onestateor city, go ahead. It is your call!
- Target Languages Spoken: Users who speak specific languages may be interested in your Twitter ad. Think about it and make your move.
- Target Gender: Is your ad specifically for men or women? You can choose Male/Female/Any Gender.
- Target OS: Mobile is the most used platform for all kinds of communication. You can create yourads specific to a certainoperatingsystem such as iOS. Likewise, you can have a mobile and a desktop version, both of which are important.
- Target Keywords: Twitter features ads based on keywords, which makes it easier to target your audience. It allows you to choose certainkeywords and send tweets. Users searching for that specific keyword or tweeting that keyword isyour real target audience.
- Target Follower: You can use Twitter usernames, or handle, to target users similar to the ones you follow. You may also include your key competitors and target their followers too.
- Target Interests: Twitter only offers your ads to users expressing an interest in the topics you choose based on the list of user interests to target.
- Target Tailored Audience & Exclusions: You can create your list of Twitter users engaging with Twitter, likepeople visiting your portal or emails listed with you. Thisis an effective way of advertising as people you target are already interested in you. Similarly, you have to learn to exclude people who may not be interested in your ads or who are already on the mailing list. Do not annoy them by serving the same ads over and over again.
- Target Behavior & Exclusions: What is user behavior? It is mainly definedby users’ search habits, purchase habits etc. Target your audience based on their behaviorto get results that are more organic. Similarly, you can exclude some behavioras well. For instance, if you were selling bread, you would have to avoid the behavior “gluten-free.”
Step#4: Set up Twitter Ad Campaign Budget
When all the steps above are completed, you have to decide a budget. Your budget determines the amount of money you would spend onthe ad campaign. You can choose a daily or monthly budget. Twitter caps the total amount spent daily to your preset budget.
Twitter also allows you to have a total budget. In that case, once your budget limit is hit, it shall stop running the campaign.
There are options for bidding – Automatic and Maximum. It is best to go with an Automatic bid as Twitter optimizes the bid to achieve the best result, which is also the lowest possible price.
However, if you select a Maximum Bid, you have to choose how much you want to pay for any action, a retweet, follow, or like.
Step#5: Choose your Creative
Finally, you have reached the stage of creating an ad and visualizing what it would looklike. Depending on the choice of Twitter ad campaign set up, you can see the creative ad here.
You have two options here – “to select a tweet” or “compose a tweet.” If you are a beginner in Twitter advertising, you have to create a new tweet to post your ad. If not, you can use a previous ad and promote it again.
Ready for theshow? Hit the “Launch” button right at the top of the page.
How important is your Social Media Goals?
Twitter advertisement campaigns are primarily basedon business objectives. Therefore, the first thing you have to do is determine what you wish to achieve with the ad. Think carefully, brainstorm and come up with a brilliant positivity.
Because the campaign objective determines types of engagement and actions you would pay for, be very sure about it.
If you have already decided which tweet to promote and you prefer not to get into detailedtargeting, you can try the Quick Promote feature. It is an easieralternativethat allows you to set up Twitter ads in just two clicks.
Step#6: Launch Twitter Ad Campaign
Finally, you have to review all your options selected, and click the Launch Campaign icon to launch the ad.
As an alternative, you can also use the Quick Promote feature.
If you have already decided which tweet to promote and you prefer not to get into detailed targeting, you can try the Quick Promote feature. It is an easier alternative that allows you to set up Twitter ads in just two clicks.
Here are the steps:
- Highlight the Unique Selling Proposition (USP) of your business and introduce yourself so effectively that your Twitter audiences know why they should click, follow, and engage with you
- Twitter Ad Manager helps you to create cards in tweets, which you can use for including cards in your tweets
- Include a call to action word or phrase in the Twitter ad
- Use high-quality visuals and other media in the tweets
- Analyze the performance of your organic tweets and learn from them
Twitter Advertising Tips to make the most out of Budget💰📈
If you have already tried your sting at Twitter advertising a couple of years but failed, you can redo the whole thing. Poor results then may turn into promising results now.
To begin with, you can try creating a small ad campaign to give a second chance to Twitter ads. In fact, many brands have already been incredibly successful with Twitter ads in the past.
Take the example of Coca-Cola Campaign – the company also makes it a point delight its fans with a special campaign right before the holidays. The 2016 Coca-Cola campaign run by the UK branch helped fans keep up with the launch of the advertisement on TV. They shared the GIF ad and promoted via Twitter ads.
Here’s how to get started:
The intro is very important.
Let us not assure that people are seeingyour Twitter ads already know about your business. Use an image or content in your tweet highlighting the features of your brand/business so that people can relate to it. People seeing the tweet should bother to stop, look, follow, and engage.
As people tend to scroll through very quickly, you would have to hit the right spot. Instead of using the entire 280 characters, you can think of a short, crisp and to-the-point ad copy for a friendly and totallyengaging ads
The idea is to pair attractive creative with a concise copy to grab users’ attention.
You can also include a link, but make sure it is clear and points to something relevant – an article, a page, a product, or download. You can avoid paying those clicks of people who do not take an interest ina specific item you are linking.
2: Use a Clear Call to Action
An incredible call to action compels your readers to click, and the same applies to Twitter ads too. Make sure users know what they want them to do.
You can keep it short and simple such as “read on,” “follow us,” “download now” or “register now.” These are very common and frequently used call to action words.
If you want to be different, try something else that is relevant to your website, brand, or business.
Once your call to action is clear and you have done what your users want you to do, do not distract from that message. Do not include too many links and limit using too many hashtags.
3: Highlight Special Offers & Discounts
Twitter research shows that people are generally more likely to click on an advertisement that mentions a certain percentage discount instead of specific savings. So, always quote the special percentage discount and offers for a more targeted result.
4: Add Cards
Cards are a powerhouse of performance, which add functionality like app installs, website previews, and conversations to promoted tweets. It makes tweets more interactive and engaging for users. However, make sure to test cards rather than using them blindly.
Twitter ads are an excellent way to learn what your audience like, relate to and resonates. Starting from the format of the ad to the length of the ad copy and tonality, it analyses everything.
Twitter uses testing to the optimum to analyze ad performance based on specifics like city-led, industry-led, and other leading hashtags.
6: Customized Ad Campaigns
When it comes to digital and social media advertising, the one-size-fits-all formula does not work. Campaigns have different goals. Being very creative is crucial. Even campaigns sharing similar goals should differ according to specific ideas or offers you want to promote at a time.
Similarly, if you are targeting different user groups, you should make necessary adjustments to your ad creative based on competitive research and determine what can appeal to each user group. You would have to take a chance with the most likely or possible features, which includes tweaking the ads based on demographics and location. For instance, what coverts in Miami might not do well in Chicago?
Most importantly, you have to use Twitter and its targeting option to the optimum. It is the only way to ensure that people who find it relevant see the ad. For instance, if you have a specific vegan food store, your target audience would come from grocery stores selling vegan food items or stores where vegan food is available.
Specificity leads to relevancy, said Kaithlyn Vicente, a social content strategist at NAIL, and ads obviously deliver higher impressions.
7: Capture Images and Videos
Images, infographics, videos, and GIFs have a wider reach. In addition, people relate to what they see.
Therefore, you must choose high-quality images and videos, not pixilated or blurry ones. Grainy videos can turn off your target forever.
Of course, words are important, but visuals grab user’s attention and let your tweets stand out.
When you are using images for Twitter ads, make sure you adhere to the image sizes and other guidelines for optimum results. You must source high-quality videos, images, and GIFs for the ads from relevant free stock photo websites.
If you are selling a product, use photos showing how people can benefit from the product, or highlighting the useful context of the product instead of just an image.
To use video ads, ensure they are sharp and convincing. Use videos with a story that creates interest in your target audience. According to the University of Manchester reports, the Twitter ad campaigns video view rate is more than 50 percent. Scroll-stopping videos are the need of the hour – easy to see and hassle-free.
8: Big Events are Important for Business
Twitter trends are major business boosters. Check out the sporting events, television events, award ceremonies, a series finale, and similar categories – it draws instant user attention.
Plan your tweets around those events so that your hashtag is easily noticed.
9: Apply Organic Tweets
Organic tweets and twitter ads go hand in hand. Therefore, you have to make sure and prepare for the purpose and learn from the trending organic tweets. Always incorporate what works for you on Twitter into the ads for the best result.
Tips to Write Effective Copy of Twitter Ads
Images and videos work, for sure, but the ad copy rules.
Making small tweaks to your tweet copy in the Twitter ads can lead to major improvements in results. Test different ad copies to uncover what actually resonates with your target audience. In order to create impactful ads, noted below are a few copy tips that have maintained a steady success record:
- Speak Urgency: You have to give a reason for people to take immediate action. So, make your offer or deal exclusively for a limited period of time, or make the supply of your product limited. Use phrases like “limited period offer”, “low stock”, “sign up now” etc.
- Percentage Discounts: As mentioned above, people are more likely to click on tweets expressing discounts as a percentage rather than an amount. For example, up to 70% off works better than $5 off.
- Giveaway Freebies: The “free” word is immensely popular in the digital world. Marketing programs mainly empathize on getting the target audience to make a sure-shot advance and purchase. However, if you focus on gathering leads, promote your resources. But, if you are truly offering something for “free”, do celebrate the offer. For example, a free guide or a free download is surely more attractive than anything done half-heartedly.
- Minimize Distractions: Here, we are specifically talking about # (hashtags). Of course, hashtag links to other mentions of a common phrase is useful if you are focusing only on engagement. However, if your goal is to have people visit your website or follow your twitter handle, you may not like to risk someone clicking on that hashtag instead of a more reliable call-to-action. So, the idea is to limit hashtag involvement as much as possible.
- Pop a Question: Questions are more relevant because they seem to have an answer to your query. Asking questions also helps people feel like they are included in the conversation. It compels them to click through as well.
Above all, you have to test the Twitter ad copy as many times as you want to, unless you are totally satisfied. Better, if you experiment with multiple campaigns for each initiative so that you can learn from each copy and its performance.
To or Not to Advertise on Twitter – Final Word ⭐️
Certainly, Twitter ads in 2018 are not as popular or glamorous as Facebook or Instagram ads! However, that does not mean you should avoid it.
In fact, Twitter ads offer value. When used as a diversified marketing strategy, Twitter ads can help you to connect with your target audience on an entirely new platform, unlike the existing ones. Moreover, Twitter is working on improving the entire platform to the enhanced user experience.
Challenges are a part of running any new ad campaign across any of the social media platforms. With Twitter, however, it is much simpler and less hassle. Creative ideas should be unique so that your ads stand out, but classic in approach to accomplish the primary goals. As such, you have to follow a few tried and tested formulas, to begin with, and proceed according to your progress.
Luckily, there are many interesting and compelling Twitter ad examples and copies to look up to when you start planning a campaign. Draw inspiration from the best Twitter ads we have seen in our times and try to come up with innovative and brilliant ideas. If you have to, you can also copy similar approaches used by leading businesses advertising on Twitter.
Appropriate use of Twitter ads allows you to get more out of the investment. You can create ads easily, manage them, customize them as you want, and optimize the ad campaigns targeting your audience. You can also convince your audience to take actions that optimize the presence of your brand on Twitter and covert to give you returns.
If you are on the fence about Twitter ads, do not hold yourself back. Allow one twitter ad to go live and see the result. It is definitely working for most brands and businesses when done correctly. There is every possibility it would work for you too.
What do you think of the Twitter ad platform versus Instagram or Facebook? Is it working? It is not working. Why is it working? Why is it not working?
Do leave your comments and let us know how Twitter advertising is working for your business.