Get started with Twitter Ads – Twitter for Business 💰📈
Sometimes you have to think out of the box to create a compelling social presence. Paid advertisement campaigns could be the best way to promote your business and achieve your goals. As brands and businesses continue to create the buzz, Twitter evolves as an exceptional platform for ads.
Of course, Facebook ads and paid Instagram campaigns are dominating the market. However, the power of Twitter advertising also cannot be disregarded. Twitter ads represent an entirely different gamut of features than that of Instagram and Facebook. In the past year, the engagement rate of Twitter ad campaigns grew exponentially by 151%, with video ads contributing to a large percentage of the success.
The World of Twitter Ads
Table of Contents
- 1 The World of Twitter Ads
- 2 Why Twitter Ads are a Game changer?
- 3 Setting up Twitter Ad Accounts⚙️
- 4 Twitter Advertising Tips to make the most out of Budget
- 5 Tips to Write Effective Copy of Twitter Ads
- 6 To or Not to Advertise on Twitter – Final Word ⭐️
Image Credit: technobrix.com
Twitter is gradually making some big alterations with how brands and businesses can use the platform to increase their business activity potentially.
Even though Twitter may not become the powerhouse of social media platforms, there is a lot you can do by building strong campaigns. Many brands still see a lot of potential in Twitter advertising and more brands are flocking other social media channels, abandoning Twitter, would face lower competition.
Social media network has more than 328 million global monthly active users, which makes it the largest platform for advertising and branding. Over 67% of those active users are likely to purchase from brands they follow on Twitter.🌍
Why Twitter Ads are a Game changer?
So, why should you bother about Twitter ads?
When it comes to paid social advertising campaigns, there is no dearth of options. However, a few things set twitter ads apart:
- Twitter ads are subtle and beautiful. They are not those typically annoying ads that make it difficult to browse. You can easily scroll it and integrate it into the feeds naturally, thus making the ads relevant for your followers. In addition, Twitter helps you to raise brand awareness at the core of an ad. In fact, Twitter notes that 41% of users buy a product within 30 days of exposing an ad.
For example, if you see the auto-playing video ads on Twitter, some ads are beautifully created, and often compel us to take a look. These are feed-friendly ads, perfect for serial scrollers.
- Twitter ads are cost-effective, which makes it the first choice for social media advertising. Similar to Facebook ads, Twitter also you to choose your target audience and spend only as much as you want. As a result, fewer ad dollars go waste as you zero in on your prospects that add value to your brand. In addition, you have complete control over the budget. So, go ahead and create your campaign the way you want.
Image Credit: socialmediaexaminer.com
Twitter ads are customizable – the greatest advantage. If you believe that social media ads mean ROI, social media video ads mean the same for Twitter advertising. From promoted videos to the latest in-stream ads and sponsored content, Twitter allows brands to customize their ads, as they want. The social media platform also claims that their video ads are twice as memorable to another user versus ads on similar competing platforms.
Now that you are clear about the benefits of Twitter advertising, what are your options to begin with?
Types of Twitter Ads
On Twitter, you can do three main types of promotions:
- Promoted Tweets to increase engagement
- Promoted Accounts to increase following and engagement
- Promoted Trends to increase engagement
- Promoted tweets are just like regular tweets, but paid. These paid tweets are displayed to an audience who don’t even follow the ads on Twitter
- Promoted tweets provide an opportunity to reach a wider audience, thus assuring better brand awareness
- Promoted tweets appear directly in front of the timeline of targeted users. Such tweets appear right on top of search results and get notified in the Twitter app too
- Promoted accounts allow you to have a Twitter account in front of other Twitter users (targeted) so that you can incorporate more relevant followers
- According to research, over 80 percent of all people discover new brands through different Promoted Accounts on Twitter
- It also allows your account to be displayed in “Who to Follow” suggestions and Twitter search results
- 85% Twitter users consider promoted accounts as both helpful and relevant
- Promoted trends in Twitter Ads feature with a # (hashtag) and get promoted at the top of the list of trending topics
- Trending topics on Twitter are the most talked about subject on social networks and they appear on the left-hand side of the page, on the Discover Tab and Twitter App. By using this tool, you can let your hot topics be at the top of the list
- Promoted trends also allow brands to gain additional organic exposure so that your brand reach increases
- Twitter advertising is more about creating awareness than simply promoting a brand. As such, can brands promote specific services, products or launches on Twitter? Yes, obviously!
Having said that, Twitter ads generally represent positive messages that make you think or totally straight-up sales pitches. There is nothing in between.
Therefore, you have to be very sure about how you want t pitch, what you want to pitch, and how much you want to divulge to your audience. Always take it like this – if you had just one opportunity for Twitter users to stop and glance at your ad, what message would you send out?
Promoted tweets center on education, information, and entertainment versus being entirely product-centric, and there is solid reason to it.
To create a compelling Twitter campaign, there are different types of Twitter ads as mentioned above. However, campaigns are categorized according to objectives.
- Tweet Engagement Campaigns: Your tweets are promoted with a goal to start a conversation focusing on your brand. You have to pay for the first engagement with users/followers. However, you do not have to pay for those impressions that do not lead to engagement or for organic engagements with users who generally react to your tweets naturally.
- Follower Campaigns: You can promote your Twitter account and pay on the basis of per Twitter follower acquired. In this type of campaign, impression, and engagement are free.
- Awareness Campaign: Twitter ads are promoted to a broad audience and you have to pay for impression on a cost-per-thousand basis (CPM). Pricing of ads is based on impressions only, not engagements. As such, you must have compelling tweets to convince your viewers to take necessary action.
- Video Campaigns: Video view campaigns increase the number of viewers of your Twitter ad. As a result, it allows you to promote videos to your targeted audience and you have to pay per video view. Whenever users see two seconds of your video, unmute the video, or click on the video to watch it on full-screen, you have to pay for the number of video views.
- Conversion/Clicks Campaign: Your Twitter ads are promoted to people visiting your site and taking action. You have to make payment for each click in both Click and Conversion campaigns. Conversion campaigns have additional functionality that allows you to track conversion, unlike Click Campaigns. Both campaigns allow you to include a Website Card, which helps you to have a preview of the website in your tweet.
- Application Install/Re-engagement Campaign: This type of campaign allows users to download your app. You can also promote your brand to clients who have downloaded the application but not used it for some time. You have to pay per application installed or for application installs and opens, depending on your objective. This type of campaign allows you to incorporate the App Card that demonstrates a preview of the application together with application’s ratings in the Tweet. Clients also have an option to open or install the app with one tick.
- Lead Generation Campaign: You can advance your tweets to join Lead Generation Cards and gather leads. You can then pay for every lead you gathered. Twitter Ads Manager allows you to make Lead Generation Cards, which enables clients to share their contact details and Twitter handle. All data and related information are then saved to Twitter Ads Account and you can download the list in CVS format.
Setting up Twitter Ad Accounts⚙️
Ok! Therefore, it is time to get rolling.
How do you set up a Twitter advertising campaign? The process is quite similar to that of creating Facebook Ads. However, if you are new to social ads, you have to start from scratch.
Beginners, please create a dedicated Twitter account for the business/brand. Any type of ad campaign you create is ultimately tied to one account. Therefore, it is best to use a brand account instead of a personal account.
Start by checking out the Twitter ads page, which is something like this:
Now do not fret as you see too many options.
Just do not panic.
Each of these options outlines a specific objective. These are goals to promote a specific tweet. The objective you choose shall decide the performance of your tweets and the pricing of ads too.
For example, Follower campaigns charge per the following basis, whereas Awareness Campaigns charge per impression. Likewise, conversion and web click campaigns charge for website clicks.
The choice of paying for your objective lies on you. However, each of these options is centered on one goal – promoting a tweet.
If you want some extra attention for one of your latest blog posts, you have to funnel traffic from Twitter back to your website for clicks, downloads, and other actions. In such cases, you have to use “Website Clicks & Conversion” option.
So, let’s begin.
Step#1: Creating the First Twitter Ad Campaign
- Visit Twitter Ads Manager Page
- Discover the list of Twitter Campaign Targets on the left-hand side of the page
- Choose your Twitter Ad Campaign goal
- Click on Create Campaign
- It leads you to the screen of Twitter Ad Campaign
- Name the campaign, choose whether you want to start the campaign immediately or plan for some other time
- You can choose whether you like to include third-party tracking or not
Step#2: Choose your Target Audience for Twitter Ads
- Twitter gives users an option to target multiple alternatives and enables you to pick the correct target audience for advertisement as well as optimize the financial plan
- You can start with geographic targeting options by selecting a specific metro region or postal code or a general nation
- Likewise, you can also focus on sexual orientation, dialect, stage, carrier, gadget, etc. Note that the more definite your target alternatives are, the better it is for your campaign. Some campaigns also target audience based on attributes such as practices, interests, TV programs they like and Tweet about and even particular keywords
- Twitter Campaign Interface features an expected estimate of audiences, which varies as you include multiple Twitter Ad Targeting Options to the Twitter Ad Campaign
- You can upload your specific list of individuals or target your individuals belonging to the follower base
Step#3: Set up Twitter Ad Campaign Budget
- You can prepare spending plans for Twitter Ads on a daily basis to promote campaigns and control how much your Twitter Ads cost
- Twitter Ads demonstrate whether you are going to pay by engagement or impression, to give you a decent feeling of how much is worth paying for
- Similarly, Twitter also demonstrates suggested bids with respect to how others are converting better or you can even take a look at Twitter’s prescribed bids for Twitter Ad Campaigns
Step#4: Choose your Creative
- Twitter demonstrates a rundown of all the current tweets that you could promote using Twitter Ads
- If you want to create new tweets, you can do that using a Twitter ad campaign
- Proceed and you would see a preview of the Twitter Ad on the right-hand side of the page
How important is your Social Media Goals?
Twitter advertisement campaigns are primarily based on business objectives. Therefore, the first thing you have to do is determine what you wish to achieve with the ad. Think carefully, brainstorm and come up with a brilliant positivity.
Because the campaign objective determines types of engagement and actions you would pay for, be very sure about it.
Step#5: Launch Twitter Ad Campaign
Finally, you have to review all your options selected, and click the Launch Campaign icon to launch the ad.
As an alternative, you can also use the Quick Promote feature.
If you have already decided which tweet to promote and you prefer not to get into detailed targeting, you can try the Quick Promote feature. It is an easier alternative that allows you to set up Twitter ads in just two clicks.
Here are the steps:
- Highlight the Unique Selling Proposition (USP) of your business and introduce yourself so effectively that your Twitter audiences know why they should click, follow, and engage with you
- Twitter Ad Manager helps you to create cards in tweets, which you can use for including cards in your tweets
- Include a call to action word or phrase in the Twitter ad
- Use high-quality visuals and other media in the tweets
- Analyze the performance of your organic tweets and learn from them
Twitter Advertising Tips to make the most out of Budget
If you have already tried your sting at Twitter advertising a couple of years but failed, you can redo the whole thing. Poor results then may turn into promising results now.
To begin with, you can try creating a small ad campaign to give a second chance to Twitter ads. In fact, many brands have already been incredibly successful with Twitter ads in the past.
Take the example of Coca-Cola Campaign – the company also makes it a point delight its fans with a special campaign right before the holidays. The 2016 Coca-Cola campaign run by the UK branch helped fans keep up with the launch of the advertisement on TV. They shared the GIF ad and promoted via Twitter ads.
Here’s how to get started:
The intro is very important.
Let us not assure that people seeing your Twitter ads already know about your business. Use an image or content in your tweet highlighting the features of your brand/business so that people can relate to it. People seeing the tweet should bother to stop, look, follow, and engage.
As people tend to scroll through very quickly, you would have to hit the right spot. Instead of using the entire 280 characters, you can think of a short, crisp and to-the-point ad copy for a friendly and totally engaging ads
The idea is to pair attractive creative with a concise copy to grab users’ attention.
You can also include a link, but make sure it is clear and points to something relevant – an article, a page, a product, or download. You can avoid paying those clicks of people who do not take interest in a specific item you are linking.
2: Use a Clear Call to Action
An incredible call to action compels your readers to click, and the same applies to Twitter ads too. Make sure users know what they want them to do.
You can keep it short and simple such as “read on,” “follow us,” “download now” or “register now.” These are very common and frequently used call to action words.
If you want to be different, try something else that is relevant to your website, brand, or business.
Once your call to action is clear and you have done what your users want you to do, do not distract from that message. Do not include too many links and limit using too many hashtags.
3: Highlight Special Offers & Discounts
Twitter research shows that people are generally more likely to click on an advertisement that mentions a certain percentage discount instead of specific savings. So, always quote the special percentage discount and offers for a more targeted result.
4: Add Cards
Cards are a powerhouse of performance, which add functionality like app installs, website previews, and conversations to promoted tweets. It makes tweets more interactive and engaging for users. However, make sure to test cards rather than using them blindly.
Twitter ads are an excellent way to learn what your audience like, relate to and resonates. Starting from the format of the ad to the length of the ad copy and tonality, it analyses everything.
Twitter uses testing to the optimum to analyze ad performance based on specifics like city-led, industry-led, and other leading hashtags.
6: Customized Ad Campaigns
When it comes to digital and social media advertising, the one-size-fits-all formula does not work. Campaigns have different goals. Being very creative is crucial. Even campaigns sharing similar goals should differ according to specific ideas or offers you want to promote at a time.
Similarly, if you are targeting different user groups, you should make necessary adjustments to your ad creative based on competitive research and determine what can appeal to each user group. You would have to take a chance with the most likely or possible features, which includes tweaking the ads based on demographics and location. For instance, what coverts in Miami might not do well in Chicago?
Most importantly, you have to use Twitter and its targeting option to the optimum. It is the only way to ensure that people who find it relevant see the ad. For instance, if you have a specific vegan food store, your target audience would come from grocery stores selling vegan food items or stores where vegan food is available.
Specificity leads to relevancy, said Kaithlyn Vicente, a social content strategist at NAIL, and ads obviously deliver higher impressions.
7: Capture Images and Videos
Images, infographics, videos, and GIFs have a wider reach. In addition, people relate to what they see.
Therefore, you must choose high-quality images and videos, not pixilated or blurry ones. Grainy videos can turn off your target forever.
Of course, words are important, but visuals grab user’s attention and let your tweets stand out.
When you are using images for Twitter ads, make sure you adhere to the image sizes and other guidelines for optimum results. You must source high-quality videos, images, and GIFs for the ads from relevant free stock photo websites.
If you are selling a product, use photos showing how people can benefit from the product, or highlighting the useful context of the product instead of just an image.
To use video ads, ensure they are sharp and convincing. Use videos with a story that creates interest in your target audience. According to the University of Manchester reports, the Twitter ad campaigns video view rate is more than 50 percent. Scroll-stopping videos are the need of the hour – easy to see and hassle-free.
8: Big Events are Important for Business
Twitter trends are major business boosters. Check out the sporting events, television events, award ceremonies, a series finale, and similar categories – it draws instant user attention.
Plan your tweets around those events so that your hashtag is easily noticed.
9: Apply Organic Tweets
Organic tweets and twitter ads go hand in hand. Therefore, you have to make sure and prepare for the purpose and learn from the trending organic tweets. Always incorporate what works for you on Twitter into the ads for the best result.
Tips to Write Effective Copy of Twitter Ads
Images and videos work, for sure, but the ad copy rules.
Making small tweaks to your tweet copy in the Twitter ads can lead to major improvements in results. Test different ad copies to uncover what actually resonates with your target audience. In order to create impactful ads, noted below are a few copy tips that have maintained a steady success record:
- Speak Urgency: You have to give a reason for people to take immediate action. So, make your offer or deal exclusively for a limited period of time, or make the supply of your product limited. Use phrases like “limited period offer”, “low stock”, “sign up now” etc.
- Percentage Discounts: As mentioned above, people are more likely to click on tweets expressing discounts as a percentage rather than an amount. For example, up to 70% off works better than $5 off.
- Giveaway Freebies: The “free” word is immensely popular in the digital world. Marketing programs mainly empathize on getting the target audience to make a sure-shot advance and purchase. However, if you focus on gathering leads, promote your resources. But, if you are truly offering something for “free”, do celebrate the offer. For example, a free guide or a free download is surely more attractive than anything done half-heartedly.
- Minimize Distractions: Here, we are specifically talking about # (hashtags). Of course, hashtag links to other mentions of a common phrase is useful if you are focusing only on engagement. However, if your goal is to have people visit your website or follow your twitter handle, you may not like to risk someone clicking on that hashtag instead of a more reliable call-to-action. So, the idea is to limit hashtag involvement as much as possible.
- Pop a Question: Questions are more relevant because they seem to have an answer to your query. Asking questions also helps people feel like they are included in the conversation. It compels them to click through as well.
Above all, you have to test the Twitter ad copy as many times as you want to, unless you are totally satisfied. Better, if you experiment with multiple campaigns for each initiative so that you can learn from each copy and its performance.
To or Not to Advertise on Twitter – Final Word ⭐️
Certainly, Twitter ads in 2018 are not as popular or glamorous as Facebook or Instagram ads! However, that does not mean you should avoid it.
In fact, Twitter ads offer value. When used as a diversified marketing strategy, Twitter ads can help you to connect with your target audience on an entirely new platform, unlike the existing ones. Moreover, Twitter is working on improving the entire platform to the enhanced user experience.
Challenges are a part of running any new ad campaign across any of the social media platforms. With Twitter, however, it is much simpler and less hassle. Creative ideas should be unique so that your ads stand out, but classic in approach to accomplish the primary goals. As such, you have to follow a few tried and tested formulas, to begin with, and proceed according to your progress.
Luckily, there are many interesting and compelling Twitter ad examples and copies to look up to when you start planning a campaign. Draw inspiration from the best Twitter ads we have seen in our times and try to come up with innovative and brilliant ideas. If you have to, you can also copy similar approaches used by leading businesses advertising on Twitter.
Appropriate use of Twitter ads allows you to get more out of the investment. You can create ads easily, manage them, customize them as you want, and optimize the ad campaigns targeting your audience. You can also convince your audience to take actions that optimize the presence of your brand on Twitter and covert to give you returns.
If you are on the fence about Twitter ads, do not hold yourself back. Allow one twitter ad to go live and see the result. It is definitely working for most brands and businesses when done correctly. There is every possibility it would work for you too.
What do you think of the Twitter ad platform versus Instagram or Facebook? Is it working? It is not working. Why is it working? Why is it not working?
Do leave your comments and let us know how Twitter advertising is working for your business.