As a content marketer, what is your prime goal? If someone asks this question, 99 out of 100 say to get high traffic on the content.
A few years back if I would have asked how to get the high traffic, the answer probably would be “keywords”. But now, everyone talks about Latent Semantic Indexing (LSI). Read our previous blog if you want to know about Google’s top ranking factors for organic SEO apart from using LSI keywords in your content.
Latent Semantic indexing is therefore mostly used and referred to in SEO, when we’re talking about content and keywords. You might have heard SEO guru’s talk about “LSI Keywords” every know and then, and there is a good reason for this.
Although the history of LSI goes back to mid-80s, the concept gets many eyebrows raised when Google used LSI for ranking of webpages in its search engine result pages (SERPs).
Before coming to an in-depth understanding of LSI, let me ask you a few questions.
You worked hard and used all the best keywords in the content but the result was not satisfactory, why?
You stuffed the contents with all the high-rank keywords, but traffic bouncing never stopped on your website, why?
Have you thought the keywords you think are your best weapons probably destroying you?
Did you realize that your competitors are also using the same keywords for their similar contents?
LSI Keywords – What is it?
Table of Contents
- 1 LSI Keywords – What is it?
- 2 Google and LSI keywords
- 3 Hummingbird and LSI Keywords
- 4 Improving Ranking through LSI Keywords
- 5 How to Find LSI Keywords?
- 6 5 Great Tools to Generate LSI Keywords
- 6.1 1) LSI Graph
- 6.2 2) Niche Laboratory
- 6.3 3) LSIKeywords Generator Tool
- 6.4 4) Answer The Public
- 6.5 5) Ultimate Keyword Hunter
- 7 How to Use LSI Keywords?
- 8 Where to Place LSI Keywords?
- 9 Things Not to Do While Using LSI Keywords
- 10 Conclusion:
The concept behind the LSI keywords is simple. Let us take an example. You know Old and Car are two different words having different meanings. When you combine these two words together, they make “Old Car” which has a new meaning at all. Latent semantic index works actually the same.
LSI keywords are finding a relation between two or more sets of keywords through proper analysis. They are frequently used words together for the same context.
LSI keywords are basically keywords closely related to each other with the same search intent and meaning. Using LSI keywords is a good way of improving your SEO (SERP) rankings, because you’ll include similar and relevant keywords (LSI keywords) that your audience search for. This help to support your content and give it a better and more thorough context.
Understanding LSI Keywords with the help of Examples:
Hot lava and cake are two different words. They individually have a different meaning but “Hot lava cake” is a popular dessert. For the foodies, these three words have one meaning and that is a cake.
Ok, now let us see more examples to understand the concept better.
Let’s say your blog is about food. Now food can be related to thousands of different words. For example:
- List of foods
- Types of food
- Importance of food in life
- Different sources of food
- Healthy food
- Food recipes
So, how Google will find the most relevant keywords for your blog?
Here, Google will use the latent semantic index to find the most relevant terms associated with your blog/website.
- If Google finds words like farmhouse, harvest, market, kitchen garden etc., then your blog is mostly about different sources of food.
- If the most used words are safety, cleanliness, nutrition, health, benefits, fresh, pure, you have a blog about healthy food.
- If LSI keywords for an apple would be fresh, ripe, sour, sweet, green, pie, baked, then it shows a food blog about an apple, and
- If LSI keywords for an apple would be iTune, iOS, Apple stores, apple phone, iPhone X, then it shows a fetch blog about Apple phone.
Now the next question that must come in your mind would be, “How Google finds the semantic relation between keywords with the main keywords?” So, let’s understand this.
Google and LSI keywords
During the starting years of SEO, keywords were the main source to get a high ranking in the SERPs of any search engine including Google search engine. This led to keyword stuffing. SEO experts were more concerned about keywords than the quality of content.
The result, the internet became a storehouse of irrelevant keywords only to get attention.
SEO experts soon learned to deceive Google algorithm. However, it took not a long time for Google to understand the whole game. Soon, Google updated its algorithm and came with the concept of latent semantic indexing that measures the contextual relevance of a page instead of keywords stuffing.
Apart from using keyword abuses, Google has another reason to use latent semantic indexing.
Latent semantic indexing helps to enhance Google’s understanding regarding the search query. Now, Google can better interpret the meaning of query and web page. It helps Google to provide almost accurate search engine results from its database.
Hummingbird and LSI Keywords
Google uses the hummingbird algorithm for a reward-based analysis. In 2013, Google used the Hummingbird the first time. The algorithm is also famous as a semantic algorithm.
The algorithm helps Google to understand more about the context of a web page. In specific words, Hummingbird focuses on searcher intent.
Understanding the Hummingbird Algorithm with the help of an Example:
Let us understand this with an example. When a search user searches about a specific person, Google tries to comprehend the intention behind the search.
Who is Celine Dion?
Clearly, the user wants to know about Celine Dion.
Google got the idea and showed the biography page at the top search.
The previous Google algorithms like Panda were mostly focused on each word in the search engine but Hummingbird focuses on the entire content in a search query instead of an individual word.
It is accurate to say that Google, after introducing and using the Hummingbird algorithm, has become smarter. It now tries to find the real intention of the search user.
Now, the concept behind the Hummingbird algorithm is clear. The next question is how I can rank higher in the search engine with the Hummingbird algorithm.
Let us find the answer.
Improving Ranking through LSI Keywords
It is easy to improve page ranking through LSI keywords. You need to keep in mind a few tricks and learn the way Google uses LSI keywords.
Here are the essential three ways by which you can improve the page ranking using LSI Keywords.
- Gone are the days when keyword density used to decide the page’s future. Now Google looks at total context. The formula for success is to use the words/phrases in the content that have a similar meaning to the main keywords.
- Use words related to the main content. This helps Google to understand the context of the content resulting in a higher rank in the search query.
- Even though you are using keyword density, it has a limit. Let us say you are at the limit of the keyword density. More uses of keywords may risk a Google Penalty.
- You can use closely related LSI keywords in your content. They are safe to use and help Google to acknowledge your content better.
- LSI keywords work as a variation of the main keyword. These are not exactly keywords but are just words related to the main keyword. With Google’s strategy of understanding the search engine user’s intent, it will look for the main keywords as well as LSI keywords in the contents. That means chances are high to rank top in search query if LSI keywords are in the content as well.
How to Find LSI Keywords?
Finding LSI keywords is not rocket science. Here are some useful tips and tools.
1. Step – Google Search Engine:
Type the main keyword. For example Caffe Latte Starbucks
You can see the bold words in the search results. These are the main keywords.
Now, you can see that some bold letters are not the main keywords. However, they were parts of the keywords. Starbuck alone was not my main keywords but it is also in bold letter. This is LSI keywords.
All words are in the bold letter, but not the main keywords are LSI Keywords. You can use them in your content and make good use of them.
2. Step – Goog le Auto Suggest:
When you type any query in the Google search engine, the autosuggest function suggests similar terms related to your query. These are also LSI keywords. Google identified them as words that come often with the main keyword. Google cluster them together to tell you what more you can find about the keywords.
You get a predictable pattern. You can use these patterns in your content as LSI keywords.
3. Step – Searches Related to Query:
Google also tells you about searches related to your original queries. You can find them at the bottom of the search engine page.
Here, you can see many new keywords related to my search Starbucks. These all are LSI keywords related to my original search “Starbucks”. You can use them in your content along with the main keywords. They help your content to rank higher.
4. Step – Using LSI Generator Tools:
Many free and paid LSI generator or identifier tools are available online. You can use any of them to prepare a list of LSI keywords and further make your webpage LSI keywords rich.
5 Great Tools to Generate LSI Keywords
Here, I have compiled 5 free and the popular LSI keywords tools. Let’s check them out below:
1) LSI Graph
It is a free and simple LSI keyword tool. You need not to sign-up to search a few LSI keywords. The tool usually generates long-tail keywords.
Here, I tried to find LSI keywords for the keyword “LSI KEYWORD”. You can see the results below. Every LSI keyword that the LSI graph found is a minimum of 3 words long.
Limitations of Using the LSI Graph Tool:
- The tool is useful only at the early stage of content creation. You get only a few queries per day. So, you need to be specific while choosing the keywords
- You can do only 20 queries after sign up.
- In a single query, you get only 50 keywords.
The tool helps to find a keyword. It also generates LSI keywords. Niche Laboratory is free to use. It also gives you a detailed report that comprises of several top webpages related to the keywords. It also includes long-tail keywords, competitive analysis, ideas about articles, and other related niches.
The tool is useful when you have reached the exploratory stage of the content.
You can see here when I typed the main keyword “Old Car”, the tool offered various tabs. Phrases, keywords, forums related niches etc. are a few tabs.
Let us click on the keywords tab and see what we get.
You can see the number of options related to the main keywords appear on the screen.
When I clicked the “competition” tab, I get the name of all the famous articles existing online related to the similar topic.
You can explore more options and can make use of the tool as per your requirements.
Limitations of Using the Niche Laboratory Tool:
- Although the tool is free to use, some services are available with the paid version like forum help from experts.
- The tool shows almost 150 keywords in a single search. However, most of them are useless. If you are not sure about the article, you have to search the pearl in the ocean for the precise and helpful keywords.
It is a long-tail keyword tool. The tool is free to use and provides additional information and features apart from the LSI keywords. The tool is useful when you are using many keywords in a single content. It enables you to find LSI keywords for 10 keywords in one go.
Apart from keywords, it provides CPC, monthly volume, and information about competitors. You can do an unlimited search, unlike the LSI graph that restricts several searches.
You can also export the keyword into the excel sheet. However, you have to export all the keywords, as the tool does not allow the export of selected keywords. In addition, you can use the country filter. You can choose country-specific keywords.
Limitations of Using the LSIKeywords Tool:
- Many times small keywords do not work in this tool. For example, when I typed ‘café’, the tool did not work.
- The tool generally gives thousands of LSI keywords for 10 long-tail keywords. But many times, it is difficult to find the exact relevant LSI keywords for the content.
The tool is famous for keyword suggestions. However, if you look closely, you will find that it also provides numerous LSI keywords. For instance, I typed “Tour and travel”. You can see the results in the below screenshot:
Answer The Public gives related words for your query. You get the keywords in terms of questions, comparisons, related keywords, keywords with prepositions, and also alphabetical keyword list.
You can search unlimited times. Every time, it gives approximate 20 related keywords with visual representations.
Limitations of Using the Answer The Public Tool:
- Free users can search for keywords only related to the United Kingdom. If you want keywords for other countries or domain, you have to buy the subscription.
The Ultimate Keyword Hunter offers free LSI keywords. However, it demands to download and install the tool for use. The tool comes with some special features. For instance, the tool looks for the top 50 websites in the Google SERPs for the keyword you searched.
You can customize the number of websites from 10 to 50 and the number of words to maximum 10 in the keywords. The tool analyses and finds related LSI keywords from your chosen set. Also, you can do an unlimited search once you have installed the tool on your computer.
Limitations of the Ultimate Keyword Hunter Tool:
- The Ultimate Keyword Hunter desktop application tool is available only for Windows users.
- It is a complex tool and difficult to use for beginners.
- To use the tool, you will need to install the tool to your computer first.
How to Use LSI Keywords?
Using LSI keywords along with your main keywords help to boost SEO traffic on your website or blog. You can also rewrite your old and dusty content using LSI keywords and give them a new life.
Since Google compare the relationship between various terms in the whole content, you can scatter the LSI keywords all over in your content.
Nevertheless, do not overdo the stuffing of LSI keywords and make your content as much natural as possible. Most of the time, LSI keywords are direct synonyms of the main keywords. In such cases, you can just replace the main keywords with synonyms. This has the following two benefits:
- First, you can stuff keywords, but make sure it’s added in a natural way
- Second, your content will have a natural look and Google will not penalize your content for keyword stuffing.
Where to Place LSI Keywords?
Here is the list of places where you can place LSI keywords in your content:
- Meta Description
- Page Title
- H1 and H2 text (headings and subheadings)
- The first paragraph of the text
- URL address
- Image Alt text
- Link anchor text
- The last paragraph text
- The body of the text
- With citation
Things Not to Do While Using LSI Keywords
Google has always warned not to overuse keywords in content. The same goes for using LSI keywords. You are already using the main keywords. LSI keywords help only when they are related to your main keywords. You must avoid over-optimizing the uses of LSI keywords on your page.
You perhaps think you can fool Google by using numerous LSI keywords but most of the time, Google acts smarter. Overusing of LSI keywords may put you in trouble. Google can bring your page under keyword stuffing territory and you can face Google penalty.
Let us say Google missed overstuffing of keywords in the page. Yet, those keywords can bring down the quality of your content. As a result, that will increase the bounce rate on your website in a worse way.
Now, you know the significance of LSI keywords for your content. You also know how to use and where to find these keywords. However, if you are writing contents over 1000 words, LSI keywords will automatically find their place in the content. You need not to take stress to look for LSI keywords.
If your content is less than 1000 words, use LSI keywords generator tools and use those keywords in your content. Do not forget to place them smartly and save yourself from the Google penalties.